Sunday, April 3, 2011

Love and Cystic Fibrosis


My four year old  granddaughter Sophie has Cystic Fibrosis.. you might remember the little girls on America's Got Talent Christy and Allie. After much thought and prayer I did this video to raise awareness of the disease. I have to tell you it was one of the hardest things I have had to do.. very emotional.. I love my granddaughter with all my heart and soul... seeing her suffer is a difficult thing for me.. I sometimes wonder if I will ever come to terms with it. I really don't think I will. Right now there is no cure. CF is a fatal lung disease but it also affects the digestive system and can cause many other problems. It takes hours a day doing breathing treatments for her to try to stay well. Frequent hospitalizations from lung infections are not uncommon. A simple cold can lead to severe complication and long hospitalizations. She take at least 20 pills a day to help her to digest food. She uses 4 different breathing medicines when taking breathing treatments for 30-40 minutes two times a day. Will you take the time to watch this video? It is not easy to watch. The music is beautiful.. it is a song written and sang by Matt Scales who had Cystic Fibrosis. Matt died at the age of 28 in 2007. The words in the song echo the struggles and hope by all who suffer from this horrible disease.
God bless you on this Sunday.. if you have heatlhy children and grandchidren say and extra prayer of thanks.
Here is the video, I do hope you will take time to watch it.. it is what I am about.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIIl5iHkkEs
Sophie's Hope

12 comments:

Made In The South said...

WoW what a moving video! ShaBaby, she has the prettiest eyes and biggest smile.
My son has two classmate that have CF. It is had to watch them suffer with it.
I too hope there is a cure soon!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

I'm so sorry she and so many suffer with this disease. Hopefully a cure will be found. What a precious little girl! Sophie is amazing...such a cutie and what a smile!

Tanna said...

Beverly, watching that video just broke my heart. As one grandmother to another, I can only imagine how heartbreaking this is for you. I lost a friend to CF years ago. I pray there will be a cure. Blessings and hope... Tanna

Wendy said...

Your video is beautiful and touching. Her smile lights up the camera and she is adorable. Going to post your video on FB and Twitter to help to get the word out.
Hugs and prayers to you and your family.
Wendy

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Being a grammy to three little girls I can just imagine how hard it was to make this video, I had tears in my eyes...she is so beautiful!

Rondell

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Bless you and your darling Sophie! I was a play therapist in a Children's Hospital for a time here and know of your struggles. It was a very meaningful time of my life to know and love these children. My heart goes out to you.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Beverly, As a grandmother myself I can imagine how difficult it is for you to see your precious granddaughter suffer. Sophie is a beautiful little girl! Please know I have you both in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs,
Sherry

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

Thank you for your kind comments and thank you for taking the time to watch the video. It is such a blessing to have meet you all on this blog! God bless you

Donna said...

Sophie is just beautiful! The video was precious and I am glad you shared it with us.
My daughter Amber had a rare form of muscular dystrophy. When she was diagnosed my world changed forever. I know how you feel and I hope one day there is a cure for cystic fibrosis and other diseases that have yet to find a cure.
God Bless you and your family :)
Hugs,
Donna

lvroftiques said...

Oh boy do I PRAY for a cure to this awful disease. My heart is breaking for you. Sophie is such a beautiful little girl and deserves to be able to breathe and play ALL the waking hours of her day just like any other 4 yr old. My cousin had cystic fibrosis and I saw how incredibly difficult it was to live with. Vanna

Anonymous said...

Beverly, my prayers are with you and Sophie. I have 2 nephews 20 years and 18 years old both with CF. My brother-in-law is a wonderful source for CF information and comfort. He and my
sister have been wonderful parents and supporters of the CF Foundation for 20 years. Ray's email is CFDad@aol.com. He may be one of the answers to your many prayers through his knowledge and support. Jennifer

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

Thank you Anonymous.. I have made so many friends w/ children and grandchildren with CF from all over the world. We are a comfort to each other. We pray for each other, rejoice for each other and cry for each other.