Sunday, August 7, 2011

Don't want an "Old Lady House".

Hey blog friends! I am still trying to hang on with this blogging and my new full time job. Whew! Half way there to getting to work from home... whooo hooo! There are 101 reasons to be a blogger but I think following you guys is the #1 reason. I learn soooo much. Such wonderful decorators out there. 
I really do study on what you guys are doing. Why? One reason is your homes are so beautiful. Two, now that I am quickly approaching my late 50's.. yep past the half way mark... I really don't want the house to turn into an "old persons home" as my kids used to say when they were young.. I don't know exactly what that emcompasses, I just know I don't want mine to be one.. Lol. So slowly, I am changing out some things and adding some new things. 
I found this beauty while on vacation in Hendersonville, NC. Funny out of everything I could have bought in the lovely mountains of N.C., I chose a cow! Looking around in Blogville, I am not alone in move love of the bovine. I paid a whooping $7.00 for her.
When I excitedly showed her to my Mom, her comment was, "it's a cow". I guess you are a cow lover or you are not, huh?
I think she a beauty. Of course, hubs was on board because it was a cheap puchase. 
Somewhere along the way she lost her mate. Looks like she was part of bookends.
  Moving on.. I have admired the wall clocks at Ballard Design for a while now but the prices were steep for me for a trendy item. But low and behold yesterday at .... yep you guessed it, Home Goods, one clock made to order for 30 whole bucks! Sure beats that price tag of $119.00 - $229.00.
Before

After.
   Another change, kind of a trickle effect. Move of the bunnies meant moving another picture. Yea, hubs was sure I couldn't make room  for the new clock. I bought this painting from a lady in the early 80's that painted reproductions for $50 a piece .. I have loved it every since. 
Before

After

Better, huh?
And, you know what? I said my walls weren't really this yellow in person but, they are sort a buttercream and we are sooo tired of this color. I would love some suggestions for a good neutral light wall color.. I am going to tone things down in here.. I love my green cutains but I have had them for over 11 years now. Got to go. 
Last thing,
Now I know I am no decorator, but wasn't this change a little obvious? I don't think I would have ever thought about it if sweet Marti over at A Stroll Thru Life had not done a blog on changing out spec house fixtures. Where in the world was I at? After having custom cabinets and granite put in I didn't think of the lighting? It has been like this for a little over a year. For Pete's sake. 
I was headed quick to an "old lady house". 
What the world?

Don't you love that scripture?
After

HOLD UP. Is that a gold doorknob?! Geeze.

Linking up to















 


19 comments:

Barbara F. said...

Fabulous post, Beverly, I missed you. Things are coming along great in your lovely home, and I can't wait for you to work from home, that scripture is beautiful (aren't they all?) :) xo

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Beverly, I like the changes you are making in your home. I'm glad you didn't say the bunny picture was ugly because we have one just like it hanging proudly in the family room. Hehe! The clock is very handsome and gives a nice updated look to the room. So far so good!

Becca Ross said...

You're house is certainly not an Old Lady house. It's beautiful!

Becca
becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

I love your house and its not an "old Lady house" at all!

Thank you so much for your sweet comment about my screened in sun-room that Susan featured today for her Metamorphosis Monday.
We've enjoyed our little room so much this summer minus the bugs and the baking sun! Plus I can go in and change it up every once in a while to suite my mood and or season!
Thanks again,
Terry at LA BELLA VIE

http://sweetpea-labellavie.blogspot.com/

brokeintrovert said...

Your house is certainly not an "old lady house." It's beautiful, especially with the changes you've made. Wonderful!

Atticmag said...

Beverly, you put me to shame with all you've done. You may be working but you're also decorating up a storm. Thanks so much for stopping by. I've so enjoyed visiting your blog. Jane F.

Babs said...

I have to laugh, because I've had furniture and pictures so long that I'm wondering if I have an old lady's house. I guess THIS old lady does.LOL
Unfortunately, since we've been in the house since '85, the things I need to change are the big, expensive things like updated kitchen and baths, and yes, I do still have gold door knobs.
I do love your Staffordshire repro. cow. She's a beauty even without her mate. Great bath fixtures, and I honestly didn't notice the gold door knob.
Hugs,
Babs

Kelee Katillac said...

I do love that scripture! Great usage too! AND I like the cow. Keep her.

Could you... would you....please consider helping with the Miracle Makeover Party next week for kids with cancer. Met Monday next week is posting for it...by Susan! For more stop by at:

www.designgivesback.com

love, kelee

Sarah, Three Boys said...

Your home is beautiful and not an old lady house at all!! I love it and all of your changes. Perfect.

Kathy said...

So funny! The clock looks great and that painting Amazing! I laughed because I am going around fixing things that were small things that make big difference! Yep I think you did see what you thought you saw!
Kathy

Erin @ How to Nest for Less said...

Full time worker, mommy and blogger here, too! It's takes a lot out of me, but I wouldn't have it any other way :) Keep it up girl. Your house looks great!!

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Hi Beverly!
I love the new clock and new lighting fixture.
I know what you mean about blogging... you do learn a lot and then I too find myself looking at something another blogger has changed out or painted and updated, and before you know it.... the trickle down effect or affect is happening here!!!!

You are a super woman.... full time job AND blogger! That is a lot to handle for sure!
xoxox
Alison

Sarah said...

I'm with Alison - super woman who works full time and blogs. Amazing!
I also agree that blogging has truly opened a whole new world to me. There are so many talented, creative individuals ready to share inspiration. I've learned sooooooo much. Glad to find you!
~ Sarah
PS
That cow is a keeper. Great find!

Anonymous said...

HI Alison! I'm going to have to agree with the others - you're some kind of gal to work full time and blog! Now your changes all look wonderful and you know what? Once you start changing these little things - it never ends! :)
Blogland is such an inspiration and there are so many talented ones out there. If I only had the energy to do all the things I want to do! :)
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Martha said...

I like your cow -- I think it is a wonderful treasure to bring home!

Gloria said...

Your house looks beautiful! And I have an idea for the gold doorknob: Get some Spray Paint in Oil Rubbed Bronze and spray paint it! I think it will come out great! And save you the money of buying a whole new doorknob. :)
Best,
Gloria

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Beverly, I like the changes you are making. The cow is so adorable and I love the big clock. Thank you for your visits and for joining my Open House party. Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Sherry

podso said...

Nice changes! By the way, I have read, if it's true, that we will be seeing more of brass in the future, so maybe hang on to your doorknobs!

I just painted our den "accessible beige" (Sherwin Wms) but I got Lowe's to match it. It is a beige but can also look gray. Apparently a very popular color.

lvroftiques said...

How funny! I WANT my house to look like an old lady house! *winks*
I adore your staffordshire cow! I'd have snatched that up in a heartbeat! Your clock is wonderful too. And I also love your new lighting fixtures. Isn't it funny what a huge difference they can make? I switched mine out for old lady chandeliers! Lol! Vanna