Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Best Banana Bread Ever! plus a little southern treat


Let me start this blog by saying I really don't like banana bread at all. I have tried many recipes over the years. NOPE.. don't like it which is kind of funny because I love bananas. Speaking of have you tried the banana milk shake from Chick Fil A? If you have not, DON'T!!! They are delicious and very addicting. Taste like a banana pudding frozen.. yummmm. Never mind.. just don't do it. We are coming up on warm weather.. I have to go sleeveless, what was I thinking about?  Ok, just maybe give it a try one time.
Now back to the banana bread story.. I had some bananas.. you know the story.. just about to go bad. Hmmmm ... maybe I will give the banana bread thing one more try.. So I got out some old recipes and tweaked them a little. This time BINGO... It was delicious! I wanted to share it with you guys

Banana Bread

Heat oven to 350 
Bake from 1hr to 1 hr 10 mins or until knife comes out clean

in a medium bowl

Shift
1- 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt 

in another bowl
Beat with hand whisk until light and fluffy (about 10 mins)
1 cup + 2 Tbs sugar
2 eggs

drizzle in
1/2 cup oil

add
3 to 3 1/2 cup of mashed bananas
2 Tbs sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

fold in
sshifted ingredients
pour into greased loaf pan (I use butter) 
Let cool for 10-15 mins before removing from pan

I don't have the nutritional information.. I'm sure it is high calorie if that is the question.
It is lethal with a drizzle of honey.. yep that's what I needed, more calories.. just trying to fatten you up a little with me..
 Speaking of getting fat, .. how about some mint sweet tea? I mean southern style sweet ice tea.. I may be naieve in thinking some of you may not know how to make sweet tea, but considering my youngest says she can't make it .. here you go

Ice Sweet Tea   


Place a medium pot filled with water on a low heat on the stove
add
4 family size tea bags (not instant) or 7-8 regular size bags

2 regular size mint tea bags
Let sit on low heat for 20 mins
(do not boil)


Put 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups of sugar (white)
in a container.
Pour strained tea mixture over sugar and mix. (don't put hot tea directly in glass, it will break the container don't ask how I know)
Stir until sugar is melted and then fill up container with water to make about around 3/4 gallon. Serve on ice.
If you would like you can leave off the mint when making and serve with lemon slices.
Just in time for serving on the screened in porch!

This is how I serve mine.
You don't believe that do you? That was a shower for my daughter. 
This is it, good ole Tupperware, had it for years.
One last thing about tea. It keeps in the fridge for about 2 days.. after that get rid of it. If you leave it out over night don't drink it.. trust me.. yuck! (don't ask how I know) 

Thanks for stopping by. I am really enjoying meeting you guys and looking at your beautiful blogs.


Linking up to

at
t


 

11 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

It all sounds delicious. I adore banana bread. Yum!

lvroftiques said...

Beverly that banana bread looks delish! And I DO love banana bread! Must be the sour cream that makes the difference? And now I'm gonna have to try the banana shake a chick-a-fil! Cold girlfriend cold! Might as well drink down some 4000 calorie sweet tea...could you pass me a glass please? *winks* Vanna

Sharon Lee Johnson said...

This sounds delicious! Funny thing is my kids love banana bread but don't eat bananas!

Beverly said...

I had banana bread French toast recently. I'm not much of a sweet eater, but it was quite tasty.

Anonymous said...

The banana bread looks so good!I'll have to try it.

Kathy

Beverly said...

thanks for stopping by guys.. hey Beverly, thats what I need to know is how to make that bread more calories.. you know I want to try that.

Natasha in Oz said...

I LOVE banana bread and have tried many recipes but this one sounds delicious! I am bookmarking it straight away and will make it as soon as my bananas start to turn black!

Hope you enjoy the rest of the week and Happy St Patrick's day!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

OMG!!! Those are MY SAME Mikasa dinner plates!
LOL!

Thank you for linking up this great post last week! {Im a lil behind, eeekk!}

Its party time AGAIN!!! xoxokara



*ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Beverly, that banana bread sounds divine! I could eat a whole life by myself. Yes, I'm a bit fluffy these days, but I enjoy my life. ;-)

I see that we have the same dishes there. I spy English Countryside. Don't you love that pattern? It's so lush. I tend to go for simpler china, but I'm so glad I bought some of this. It's just perfect, and I love the fact that it's a workhorse, too.

You have a lovely blog, and I so appreciate you visiting me at mine. I'm hoping to be blogging more regularly soon.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you...

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Make that "loaf" not "life"... LOL! ;-)

Linda said...

Hi! This is my first time to your blog...I found you through another one...I enjoyed reading some of your older posts too! My sons love banana bread, so I'll have to try your recipe too...I do have an old recipe that I have tweeked over the years...but I love a new one! Thanks for sharing!!