Sunday, March 20, 2011

Thrift Store Picture

I finally got around to putting a frame and picture I found at a thrift store to good use. 
Remember this pic I picked up for $5 a couple of months ago?

I am sure I could not have bought this new in a 16x20 for under 20 bucks..
Doesn't it give you such a sense of acomplishment when you know you have got a quality item and saved so much money?
Thanks so much for stopping by.. I am really enjoying getting to know you .. that has been the best part of doing this blog.
You can get to know people you would have never had the oppurtunity to know otherwise. 
Have a pleasant Sunday.. warm weather coming here tommorow!


It is on hard board and has faux paint strokes. I loved the colors.. just something about it.. I just loved it. I moved it from room to room for a while and finally settled on leaving it on top of the black hutch I rcently moved into the living room. I had no idea what type of frame I wanted it in. 
Remember this?

I loved the picture in this frame also.. I got it at the same thrift store at a later time .. I think I paid aound $12. Unlike some of you guys that get the best deals ever... our thrift stores around here run a bit higher. Anyway not too bad for a pic that size. The frame did nothing for me but it was solid wood. I even picked up a splinter from it. I still have not figured out what to do with the picture of Jesus but I know I am going to use it. I am excited because I found some old fans from churches that have Jesus on them.. (Is it saying I am old if I remember using those in church?) So anyway I want to group the fans and the pic. I'm Excited!
I refinished the frame in an ivory (just spray paint, a satin) and then glazed it with raw umber acrylic mixed with a glazing compound .. presto.. I love the way it turned out and the picture I loved fit  perfectly. 

   Pretty good deal for under 20 bucks!

Went right back on the hutch

A close up of how the finish brought out details I didn't even notice before.


Plus it made details in the picture pop.
I love hearing from you. Please leave me note if you stopped by, I love to hopping over to see what you are up to!
Linking to
At
And

19 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

Beverly it is gorgeous! It looks perfect on your mantel. Great find.

Have a wonderful Sunday.
~Melissa

Dianne said...

Beverly,
I would have snapped up that picture too. it's wonderful and with the redo on the frame it's perfect! Dianne

Babs said...

Beverly, Your painting is absolutely gorgeous and I LOVE your paint treatment on the frame. They look perfect together. And... I remember those fans with the picture of Jesus knocking at the door.. ours usually had an advertisement from a local funeral home on the back side. LOL
Ahhh, the good old days.
Have a great evening.

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments.. It is great to get little bits of your personalities from your post and your blogs.

lvroftiques said...

Very cool! I love how it turned out! Vanna

Jodie said...

I love landscape scenes. I think you got a great deal for under $20.00,it looks like an expensive painting. By the way, your room looks really nice the way you rearranged it!
Jodie

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

I just get drawn right into these pastoral scenes. Your frame is perfect! Great job!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I love the picture and it looks great in the redid frame, it's perfect on your black hutch!

Rondell

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I'm glad to see how you redid the frame. The whole picture looks amazing.

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

Beverly email me with your name and address. You won my giveaway and I tried emailing you with the email address in your profile, but it came back undeliveralbe. My email is in my profile.
Congrats, Sherry

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

That is a gorgeous print. I love all the detail. What a difference paint can make to a frame!!! Love the area where you have it placed too. It looks like it was made for that spot. ~~Sherry~~

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

Thank you guys soo much. Sherry I love your frame also.. the kittens are so cute. I emailed you, thank you what a wonderful way to start the week.. I have had so much trouble with the email.. I have set it like a hundred times.. will try it again.

Beverly said...

Beverly, this looks perfect. I love the scene in the frame. It looks so peaceful and tranquil.

And, I am so loving your bunnies. I plan on getting mine out this week.

I love Spring.

Connie said...

What a bargain you got. That picture looks like a French pastoral. You'll always be glad you got it.

Yes, I remember the church fans. I think my first mental images of Jesus were formed from the pictures on those fans. They were so special.

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh, how beautiful, Beverly. And I love your picture of Jesus too....It is so special.

I came over from Blue Ridge--and I'm your newest follower. Nice to meet you and see all of your lovely pretties!!!
XO

Stitchfork said...

Beverly, your picture frame turned out great! Thanks for stopping by my blog! To answer your question - I used iron transfers for this design. Looking forward to reading more here!
xo Cathy

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

So awesome! Love this post...thank you for linking up to Whassup Wednesday! Hope to see you tomorrow:)

xoxokara

Sharon Lee Johnson said...

You did a great job on that frame. it looks so professional and looks lovely with the picture. Have a great week. x Sharon

Beverly said...

thank you so very much for your lovely comments. It really is nice to get such wonderful comments