Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bunny love

I love bunnies! Any chance I get to buy a bunny I do.. so I recently picked up this bunny and chick from Joannes for about $1.50 .. they had a bright finish.. I really love those little bunnies and chicks that have the retro look but they can be a bit pricey, so I decided to dress these up a bit.


The first thing I did was to (dirty) them up a bit .. I used some watered down brown acrylic paint. I am not particular about the paint... last week I found some at Joannes on sale for .50 cent. Next I put some more glitz on them.. they had some glitter on them when I bought them..  Next I put a thin coat of watered down Elmer's glue, and sprinkled them with Glitter .  I found the glue too thick without the water and the glitter tends to clump up.


Added some more glitz with this


This really give a nice sheen like the retro ones.

Did you ever notice how the retro Easter and spring decorations always sit on something...hummm

Can you believe I re-purposed these?


Yep that's an empty ribbon spool! I sew and was keeping my latest spools thinking they would come in handy to wrap extra ribbon on..
gave them a coat of paint on top but left the inside of spools alone..



Then some more glue and glitz.. hot glued them to the top and presto, retro spring for $3.50!! I like that..


Now for this guy


You know those chocolate plastic bunnies? Well that is what this guy started off as.. I have had him for years.. he even has a chew mark on one of his ears from a little dog  Joy.. special memories. .. we had Joy for 13 years.. oh well that is a different story. I slapped a coat of antique white acrylic paint on him.. and you guessed it glued and glitz him.. I glued him on one of those pressed cardboard boxes from Michael's after I painted it rose pink and glittered it.. I think the box was around $2.. I dabbed some brown for his eyes.. used some ribbon I have had for years... Oh yeah the pink flower around his neck is an old earring that my mother in law passed down to me. 
I am happy with the outcome.. I think with practice I can get better at this.. hmmm.. do they make cardboard houses? I think I need to buys some more. .. what do you think? 
Thanks for stopping by.. let me know if you do any crafts for Easter.

Beverly

I am linking to

Wow us Wednesday

15 comments:

Sharon Lee Johnson said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comments on my mirror! You are very organised with your Easter preparations and have inspired me to do the same! x Sharon (I have joined you as a follower)

Becca Bertotti said...

Hi Beverly! I love how you "glitzed" your precious bunnies up. I am a big fan of anything that sparkles, so I will have to take note of your tips! And, thanks so much for your sweet note about my crazy eggs. I'm your newest follower now, too! *Becca*

Miss Char said...

I'm in love with your little guys. I'm a sucker for bunnies too and will be giving this project a try very soon. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Your bunnies are just darling!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

Thanks guys.. can't wait to see what you do.

lvroftiques said...

What do I think? I think they're adorable!! I also think you've got great vision. So much better dirtied and glittered up! Great job! Vanna

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

Thanks Vanna.. that was so needed today.. you know those days when you seem to think everything you do is off? Had one.

Susie said...

I love these! You did a wonderful job! You are a clever girl.
I am visiting you from Wow Us Wednesday and I am your newest follower. Hope you will drop by and follow back http://puddlejumpercreations.blogspot.com

Ellen said...

Oh my goodness, love, love and love some more! They are just adorable! Great tip about watering down the glue first. I've had the clumping problem, thanks to your tip, now I know how to fix that! Thanks for sharing your tip and the adorable bunnies.

xoxo,
Ellen

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Awww, so cute! Your bunnies are so sweet!
Ps. your word verification is on and it's best to turn it off so you don't miss any comments!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

How creative! I would never thought to do what you did to make the bunnies so adorable! Really great job! :)

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Those are so adorable! Thanks so much for stopping by, I already have the Stylish Blog award but that was so sweet of you to think of me, really I was honored that you thought of my blog! Please stop back again I loved having you!

Rondell

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

Gee thanks so much... I have vaccumed glitz for two days.. it looks like a fairy god mother exploded in my house! Pam thanks so much for the advice on settings.. being fairly new at this I appreciate what advice I get.

Wendy said...

You little bunnies are adorable! It is such a good feeling knowing that spring is on its way!

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

Thank you Wendy..